Today, the day following Thanksgiving, is being trumpeted by the media (quite loudly) as Black Friday. But here in Bayfield, we are sounding off and actively promoting that locals and visitors support our area small businesses. Yes, this is happening all around the world, but when one lives in a small town, these types of efforts are palpable.
So here are the Pinehurst Inn top 5 hot spots for holiday purchases:
- Big Water Cafe & Coffee Roasters – not only the place to go to pick up a great coffee drink or scone, but great assortment of coffee and tea goodies.
- Apostle Island Booksellers – locally-owned, independent bookstore located in Bayfield. Their collection of books emphasizes the history, cultures, nature, lifestyle, cuisine and activities of our locale – the Apostle Islands, the Chequamegon region, Lake Superior, the Great Lakes, Ojibwe Country and the Northwoods.
- Bayfield Wine & Spirits – Offering 60 – 70 different, individually selected wines from the U.S., France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Argentina and elsewhere – they have a great assortment of wonderful little wine/drink related items as well. And watch for periodic availability of Sassy Nanny Goat Cheese. Yum!
- Wolfsong Wear – Yup, these are the same folks who run the great dog sledding adventures in the area. They produce some of the best outerwear for adventure sports. They are all locally handmade with the highest quality materials: Woolrich Wool on the outside and soft comfortable Malden Mills 300 weight polar on the inside. AND they are running an incredible sale through the end of November – buy 1 coat, 2nd coat is half-price!
- Eckels Pottery – located just South of Bayfield, Eckels Pottery has been in business since 1960. They offer beautiful, hand crafted ceramics along with a wide variety of other items large and small. We are pleased that most of our dishes used for breakfast service are from Eckels.
We could easily turn this list into a top 10 or top 15…….there are many more wonderful options. But we’ll stop here. If you are an area resident, know that the choices for your holiday shopping are many. If you are a periodic visitor, come back and make us your “one-stop” shopping location.
Either way, we do encourage everyone to shop locally. Supporting the small business people in every community direct and indirect economic impacts.