Dedicated to Sustainability in all Business Practices…
Pinehurst Inn Mission: to be a premier eco-lodging facility, providing the highest level of green lodging hospitality and guest experience while preserving and promoting the unique historical and environmentally sensitive nature of our property and the area. We are committed to sustainability in all practices.
Although the definition of sustainability has many variations it is usually described as the balance between environmental health, economics, and social justice – a balance that will lead the way to a world where the human and other biological communities can thrive together indefinitely.
At Pinehurst Inn, we have attempted to use this philosophy in our analysis of the many long and short term decisions we make regarding the way we do business. Our goal is to minimize our use of natural resources while still providing a magnificent green lodging guest experience. Our “bottom line” is a triple bottom-line. We will not only analyze the success of our business on the basis of financial capital, but natural and social capital as well.
The very cool thing is that Pinehurst Inn guests continually tell us that this eco-friendly green lodging approach enhances their lodging experience. And hopefully, each Pinehurst Inn guests checks out with just a few more ideas of how they can enhance their own daily practices.
Brief Highlights of our green lodging efforts:
- Use of solar panels to heat domestic hot water in our new Garden House.
- Plans to retrofit main Inn within next two years for solar hot water heating.
- Use of energy efficient materials wherever appropriate when refurbishing existing structures or in new in building.
- Use of non-toxic cleaning products and recycling materials wherever appropriate.
- Use of organic cotton or eco-friendly linens, towels & robes for guest rooms.
- Use of organic and/or locally grown food as much as possible.
- Energy efficient appliances (all Energy Star), lighting and other technology.
- Composting of all food and garden waste.
- Production of biodiesel from recycled restaurant oil for use in vehicles.
- Landscaping incorporating both historic and native plants.
- Complete recycling plan including providing guests with reusable stainless steel water bottles
This is just the beginning. For detailed examination of our practices enjoy our Pinehurst Inn Sustainable Operations Plan-2014.