Holidays are filled with traditions. It may be useful to simply think about ways to build on those traditions in new, more sustainable ways. And it’s our guess that these steps might add significant quality to your holiday celebration. Some ideas for greener holidays from Eartheasy.com:
- Buy Less. Give more while spending less. Here are ideas for how to give greener gifts.
- Buy Smart – think “green”. Look for locally made gifts, gifts made from recycled sources, or gifts produced by sustainable companies. Consider re-gifting!
- Connect with Nature. Start a family tradition of giving back to the earth and instilling the values of sustainable living to your children, friends and community. Take a hike or snowshoe. Participate in the Annual Bird Count in your area.
- Lower the impact of Holiday Lighting. Consider the size of your lighting display as well as the light sources. Explore LED lights that use up to 95% less energy than the traditional larger lights.
- Choose a live tree. Live trees, on the other hand, are a renewable resource grown on tree farms, that are replanted regularly. They contribute to air quality while growing, and almost ninety percent are recycled into mulch. Live trees are usually locally grown and sold, saving both transportation costs and added air pollution. Live trees also smell like Christmas!
For more ideas, we suggest Eartheasy.com – a great side providing simple and understandable information on this topic and more.
Please share with us how you’ve altered your holiday traditions to honor both the holiday and the earth!