It’s November already, time to start thinking about the holidays. Why not start a new tradition or change things up a bit by experiencing some small town holiday festivities to get you in the spirit of the holidays. Bayfield, Wisconsin, a quaint little town located on the shores of Lake Superior and the gateway to the Apostle Islands, just might be what you are looking for. It offers a wide variety of activities to get you outdoors and in the holiday spirit. Here are some of the highlights:
- Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, held the Saturday after Thanksgiving at the Bayfield Lakeside Pavilion. The community gathers for some holiday treats and Christmas caroling before heading outside for the official Bayfield tree lighting. Come join the caroling and festivities, everyone is welcome!
- Bayfield Holiday Shopping. Explore the local galleries and enjoy demonstrations, refreshments, special promotions and sales during the shopping season. What a great way to find unique gifts for those on your shopping list and, at the same time, support local artists and small independent shops.
- Santa Arrives by Ferry on the second Saturday of December. It is not every day that you get to see Santa arrive by ferry to your small town. Afterwards, take a stroll through the quaint downtown Bayfield, explore the shops, stop for some coffee at one of our coffee houses, or enjoy a delicious lunch at one of the area restaurants.
- Downhill skiing on Mt. Ashwabay opens Christmas week (subject to snow conditions of course). Enjoy a day of skiing and snowboarding on our local hill. Or, if you prefer, there is snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and hiking throughout the Bayfield area.
- Dog Sledding with Wolfsong Adventures begins mid-December, depending on weather conditions. Drive your own team or ride with one of the incredible guides, the choice is yours.
Stay at Bayfield’s premiere lodging establishment, Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast, ranked no. 1 bed & breakfast in Bayfield by travelers on TripAdvisor. The inn is located about a block from Lake Superior on more than three wooded acres with some majestic old white pines that are simply awe-inspiring. There are eight different rooms to choose from, all warm and inviting with luxurious amenities. Each room has a private bath and some rooms have a fireplace and large jetted tubs. And don’t forget about breakfast, which is included. it is a hearty three-course made-from-scratch breakfast incorporating many locally sourced ingredients. Breakfast often is one of the highlights of a stay at Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. Find the perfect room and start planning your trip today.